Total Pageviews

Wednesday 23 November 2011

Readers Where Would a Writer be Without Them


This is only one of my bookcases - multiply this by about 10


I’ve been a reader ever since I was big enough to hold a book. As a child I devoured books and lived in a magical fantasy land conjured up by my current reading material. I danced round fairy rings, fought dragons, became a princess, had pillow fights at boarding school, joined the Chalet girls in Switzerland. Then, of course, when I was older, among other things I became a spy, detective, femme fatale, gentleman burglar (even though I was a girl). I solved crimes with Hercule Poirot, and Sherlock Homes, I visited Miss Faversham, made love to Heathcliffe, hid from Dracula and Frankenstein. In fact, I did everything but live in the real world. So is it any wonder I became a writer.

Being such an avid reader gives me something in common with my readers. I want to please them in the same way that I have been pleased with all the books I’ve read over the years. I love to hear from readers, get to know their likes and dislikes, have conversations about characters, mine and those of other authors.

So, one of the joys of my life as an author is going out to meet readers, luckily, libraries often invite writers to come and talk, and local groups often ask me along, some of these talks are paid and some are not. But my reason for accepting all these invitations is not based on finance, it is because I truly love talking with readers.

So. Don’t be shy, come along and talk to me, whether it is face to face, on Facebook, or on Twitter. I’m here and I’d love to hear from you.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Great post, Chris! My bookcases aren't quite as crowded as yours... yet but getting there. My childhood was much like yours. Face in a book much of the time and it didn't matter what genre.

Unknown said...

Good grief, Chris. I thought I was overdoing it with the "house of books". This is me standing up and applauding.

Chris Longmuir said...

It's not the only book case I have! As well as other bookcases and a book lined summer house (shed) I also have a pile, well piles actually, of books on top of my study filing cabinet. I am in danger of being buried under an avalanche, never to appear again!

Bill Kirton said...

And all this from a fan of the Kindle. It's a great photo, Chris, because books are great objects in themselves. Kindle's good but ...